Why is this important?
- Access to early prenatal care can help identify potential medical problems in both the mother and the baby, allowing for the implementation of early and potentially more effective intervention.
How are we doing?
- 78% of Sacramento County women seek prenatal care in the first trimester of pregnancy, and 13% received care in the second trimester (94.6% first and second trimester)
- The percent of women receiving prenatal care in the first trimester has remained at or near 80% over the last decade.
- The percent of women in Sacramento County receiving prenatal care has been consistently lower than statewide.
- Non-white mothers are less likely to receive first trimester prenatal care than white mothers.
Data Source: California Department of Public Health