Why is this important?
- Many runaways are escaping dangerous home situations and have been the victim or witness of abuse.
- Once on the street, runaways may face many dangers, particularly from violence and exploitation.
- Some runaways have not made the choice themselves, but rather have been forced out of their home environment by a caretaker.
How are we doing?
- The 4,858 runaway reports filed in Sacramento County for 2011 was the lowest number since 2000.
- The number of runaway reports has declined by 27% since its high in 2005.
- Although the rate of runaway reports per 1,000 children and youth has been decreasing overall in Sacramento County it remains significantly higher than the California rate overall.
Data Source: California Department of Justice Missing Children Reports