Why is this important?
- According to the California Health Interview Survey (CHIS) 2009, 38.7% of children in Sacramento County lived in low-income families (making less than 200% of poverty).
- The average family receiving subsidized child care in Sacramento County is a single mother earning about $2,000 per month with two young children.
- As a result of decreases to CalWORKS and child care assistance in this year's budget, many of our families no longer qualify for assistance.
How are we doing?
- 102 families with 189 children lost child care assistance at the end of August 2012.
- For a single-parent with two children working a minimum wage job, the cost of child care is 95% of the family budget.
- For the same family with a low-income job ($35,000) the cost of child care for two children consumes nearly half (45%) of the family budget.
- The same family earning 75% of the Sacramento County median family income ($49,000) the cost of child care is one-third or 32% of the family budget.
Data Source: Child Action, Inc.